Brain Surgeons, 8/25/95

Mon Aug 28 08:42:43 EDT 1995

Chip reviews the Brain Surgeons' gig in VT:

Oh, do I wish I was there!  As expected, sounds like a good time was
had by all.  But, hopefully the Surgeons will be back in Boston soon,
and I'll get to run into Carl, Tania, Scott, and now Chip when they
play here.

I second Chip's comments on getting the Brain Surgeons' music -- two
excellent albums that no one should be without!

Sorry to hear they didn't play "Sally" - they did in Boston last month
and it rocks live.  But, you did get to hear "Death Valley Nights",
which was their planned encore in Boston (had the club let them do one,
or had the rest of the locals screamed louder).

I don't think it's so bad to say that *Trepanation* has a certain "BOC"
sound to it.  But, I think perhaps that may not be quite correct - perhaps
by listening to *Trepanation*, you can see how much BOC was driven by
his talent.  Also, there are a few songs on *Trepanation* that were
co-authored by some other BOC contributors (H. Wheels, P. Smith, R.
Meltzer), and a few ("Sally" being one, and I think "If U Come Close"?)
were written back in the 70's.

It's cool that you got to chat with the band as much as you did.  I'm
envious, but having got to spend a little bit of time with them when
they were in Boston, I know what you mean about them all being really
nice.  Dave Hirschberg even gave me a few bass-playing tips (and I can
use all the help I can get).

To all of BOC-L:  Buy the Brain Surgeons' CDs - you won't be disappointed!

To The Brain Surgeons:  Keep touring (nearer to Boston would be cool, but
I might have to convince my wife we need a vacation in New York some time),
and do longer sets if you can get the clubs to let you!

John