Smallest club for HW

Keith A Henderson khenders at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Wed Aug 30 14:17:34 EDT 1995

Stephen writes:

> No, thats St Catherines Ontario, site of possibly the smallest gig in
> Hawkwind history I would imagine. (St Caths is conveniently halfway
> between Toronto & Buffalo so has been on the tour schedule the last two tours
>
> The Hideaway club holds maybe 300 people, the stage is barely big enough for
> the band. This is the (well to me) legendary gig where Ron Bastard maanged
> to suspend himself upside down from the rafters above the stage (thats how
> low the cieling is). Also you can only get off teh stage on one side, I
> remember Captain Brock creeping back onto the stage during one of the
> instrumental bits
> having gone off to grab a drink, and trying to sneak across in front of the
> drum kit without being seen, much to Alans and Richards amusement.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve L.

Nope....sorry Steve.  If you had followed me for one more gig, you would have
seen them in a club even smaller than the Hideaway.  Nietzche's in Buffalo was
quite a bit smaller....there, the band could not get off the stage *at all*, as
the only exit from the stage is out into the audience.  So between the finale,
and the encore 'LSD', the band sort of strolled behind their equipment for a
minute or so, and then reemerged as if we didn't know where they'd gone. :)

And I heard from Bill S. that the 'Wetlands' club they played in NY a few years
earlier was even smaller than Nietzche's!!  Hard to believe.

Keith H.