HW: LP review - Space Ritual

Paul Ward sonique at AARDVARK.APANA.ORG.AU
Thu Aug 31 18:24:48 EDT 1995

                     Record Review: Hawkwind 'Space Ritual'
                     --------------------------------------

Disclaimer: Hey! I've never done this before. I have *NO* artistic talent
            whatsoever, and my opinion is mine, and no-one elses! I do know
            what I like though, and that means HAWKWIND!
            Any reference to record labels & catalog numbers reflects what
            my copy is, and is not necessarily the only (or original)
            release.

Artist/s:       Hawkwind
Title:          Space Ritual
Label/Cat#:     United Artists UAL-44142
1st Release:    1973
Lineup:         Bob Calvert, Dave Brock, Lemmy, Nik Turner, DikMik,
                Del Dettmar, Simon King

"... Give up illusions about ideas of order, accept nothing of inherited norm.
Spread joy and revolution. It is the business of the future to be dangerous."

What do naked women, lions, ancient statues, stars and planets, skeletons, men
in bowlers hats, poetry, cosmic facts and mythology have in common?

Who cares about the cover man .... throw that vinyl on the turntable!

This is the pinnacle of Hawkwind's early years, their fourth LP release. It was
recorded live in December 1992, during the Space Ritual tour which co-incided
with the release of the "Doremi Fasol Latido" LP. It is the stuff that legends
are made of and firmly puts Hawkwind forward as the founders and masters of
Space Rock.

Calvert makes his debut musical appearance on this LP, along with a few Michael
Moorcock (the world renowned science-fantasy author) penned tracks - two names
which would have a great deal to do with Hawkwind's future direction.

The Space Ritual does need any introduction to confirmed Hawkfans, but any
'newbies' - read on .....

The double live set abounds with spacey analog synth effects that are so
charecterise early 70's Hawkwind. The opening track "Earth Calling" segues
beautifully (if you can use the word in this context) into the predominate bass
guitar of Lemmy and drumwork of King in "Born to Go", which features an
effective dual vocal effect created by Brock and Calvert. Following this is a
slightly more 'electric' version (than the original from Doremi ) of "Down
through the night". Side one concludes with "The Awakening", Calvert poetry set
to the sounds of space, telling us of the feelings of loss and horror
experienced by the captain of a space craft in dealing with a centuries long
journey through space.

The seque into "Lord of Light" is sadly destroyed by the fact that you must flip
the vinyl over, but as one of my favourite tracks I can live with this. Turner's
alto sax is more noticeable here than ever before, adding a component to the
sound of Hawkwind which we all know and love. Moorcock's "The Black Corridor", a
poem all about space and it's vastness (and our reultant insignificance) is the
perfect introduction to the classic "Space is Deep". The first LP concludes with
Dettmar's synth trip "Electronic No. 1".

While the first LP on it's own could be considered one of Hawkwind's greatest
efforts, it is the second pice of vinyl which really shines. "Orgone
Accumulator", Calvert's first non-poetry vocal effort really kicks, as does
"Master of the Universe" (much faster than the 'Doremi' version, but who can say
which one is the best?).

Moorcock's "Sonic Attack" (informing us all of the steps we must take to survive
'imminent sonic destruction') and Calvert's "10 Seconds of Forever" (the
haunting tale of the thoughts and memories of a man during the last moments of
the Universe) make perfect introductions to "Time we left this world today" and
"Brainstorm", both of which are more powerful than one would consider possible.

The methodic (this is not a critical comment) "Upside Down", and the slower but
powerful "7 by 7" make up the rest of this set, which closes with Calvert's
"Welcome to the Future" and a crescendo drums and effects.

I can only think of one criticism with this album - I was too young and on the
wrong side of the world in 1972 to be there!

If you buy nothing else, do not miss this album. Some of the tracks have been
re-released on various compilations (such as 'Stasis'), but you have to
experience the Space Ritual in it's entirety to call yourself a Hawkfan.

--
Paul Ward        aka: Assassin Sonique'          .---.  __  .--------   Long
R & D Manager, P & C Micro's Pty Ltd            /     \( o`-,  -----   may