My Civilisation

Carl E. Anderson canders at WJH.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Aug 31 19:23:59 EDT 1995

> Interesting that the word "fuck" is
> bleeped on the disc - this strikes me as out of character for The Brain
> Surgeons, but perhaps they've already got plans to release this as a single?
> Of course, looking at my comment, I'm thinking, "well, perhaps it was
> bleeped because that's exactly what I would expect the Brain Surgeons
> NOT to do"  Like, the Brain Surgeons refusing to be typecast.  Although,
> I thinkg this song would be a great single (and it's my favorite on the
> disc), so maybe the bleep is needed . . .

        It's my opinion that it must have been done deliberately.  If they
felt strongly about using the word "fuck" (if not actually "Belgium"--sorry
'bout that non-Hitchhiker's fans ;) they could have left it on the album
and bleeped a version for radio-play (thus also creating a rarer bleeped
version that would be immediately purchased by every BOC/BrS fan on the
list ;)

        Or they could have just bleeped it for fun.  After all, saying
"fuck" in a song is no longer new and shocking.  But bleeping is much more
likely to get people's attention ... as y'all may note it has in fact done
on this list! :)

Cheers,
Carl