I like coffee too, but...............

Stephen Swann swann at PHANTOM.COM
Fri Dec 1 10:42:20 EST 1995

Ted O. Jackson writes:

> Don't you think there's a temptation to rely upon computerspeak to
> replace verbal/written creativity?  Writers got along for centuries
> without computer hieroglyphs.

But writers got along for centuries by using formal writing
conventions.  Online, however, people tend to write conversationally
to each other, and be much more casual about their use of language.
It's entirely possible, even among very bright people, for irony to
come off sounding like belligerence.  Trust me on this, I've seen it
happen even between the most intelligent and literate of people.

There's a damn good enough reason for those "hieroglyphics" - they
were invented by some very bright people to answer a definite need.
You'll probably start using them, too, after you've been grossly
misunderstood a few times, and possibly made enemies out of people
that you intended to share a friendly joke with.

Steve