Response to some topics/ short & sweet - I Hope

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Fri Dec 1 16:15:14 EST 1995

>BOC Sunrise Review - Good review of the latest performance.  Couple of
>questions though.  What type of venue is Sunrise, good, bad or ugly place to
>see a show?  Are they still saying someone lost or stole the accoustic
>equipment?  They stated that in October at the Jaxx show.  Robo have they
>mentioned why they continue to do In Thee in an accoustic style without
>accoustic equipment?  Hope there isn't a real problem between Alan and Eyes,
>I'd hate to see Alan leave the band.

I should clarify that by Sunrise I mean the club was in Sunrise, FL, not the
Sunrise Auditorium which is a large concert hall.  The club was Mr. Laff's,
which by the name you can tell it is a part time Comedy club.  It is also a
sports bar and grill.  I got there very early, so we had time to kill and it
was nice to have stuff like Pool to pass the time, place didn't start
filling up until around 10:00, but it got packed by the time they came on.
Most people were at tables and the like, but there was a small dance floor
in front of the stage, which is where most people watched from, standing and
jumping, and pumping fists in the air and the like.  Acousticly, once they
got the mic problem fixed it was fine, and there was a good view from just
about everywhere, with the stage raised about four feet making sure the
people standing in front weren't a problem.

No comment about equipment, Allen just went around back for a sec and came
back with an acoustic guitar, and they jumped right in.  He sat down on a
chair front and center for that one, the only number he (or anyone else) did
that.  Still didn't give him a mic, though.  Buck sang lead with Eric and
Danny doing the chorus.  Overall, Buck sang as many if not more songs than
Eric.  While Buck sang, Eric spent a fair amount of time at the keyboards
while Allen played guitar, also.  This was the first time I'd seen them so I
don't know if that's typical.  BTW, I notice you spell it "Alan", whereas I
thought (and WotT liner notes use) it was "Allen".  Just wondering, (Andrew,
whose middle name is spelled "Allan").

Buck seemed to have a great time, his facial expressions during some of his
solos were just great, kind of "oh, yeah, check this out", and at times
using mock surprise at what he was playing (mouth wide open a good stretch
of Cities on Flame).  Eric apart from that seemed to have fun, though it's
hard to see through those shades.  He had a bunch of fun with a long,
tubular balloon somebody threw up on stage, sneaking up behind Buck while he
was playing and placing it between his legs <g>....Danny and John (Jon?),
the current Bouchard spotholders, both smiled non-stop, and seemed to have
fun.  At one point, Danny something he saw (I think Buck kind of head
motioned to point it out, I couldn't see what it was) completely cracked him
up, he was trying not to laugh and only partly succeeding, he had to
struggle to keep playing...   John (Drums) just kept a grin on his face
throughout, and never changed throughout the show....

During all of this, Allen looked kind of weary, kind of "here I am doing
this... again", and didn't smile once.   His playing (especially on guitar)
sounded great, and he did high five all of us he could reach in the front
whenever he went by.  I've not seen him before, maybe that's just the way he
looks.  After the one incident I mentioned, he seemed to be scrambling to
adjust a bunch of things on the keyboards then started playing hurrily just
after that.  It's my guess he just missed something, that no one but Eric
noticed.....