3-Pak

Stephen Swann swann at PHANTOM.COM
Fri Dec 1 16:43:22 EST 1995

John A Swartz writes:

> Also, with regard to the 3-Pak, I found out that record stores don't
> necessarily understand what's going on.  Went to my local Newbury
> comics (which is really a record store that sells comics, for those
> of you that don't know) the other day and found the 3-Pak selling for

Well, they *used* to be much more of a comic store that sold records,
but I noticed the change in emphasis last time I was in Boston.

> $24.  BUT - each of the individual BOC albums that makes up the 3-Pak
> was selling for $7 each -- you do the math.

Talk about nostalgia trips.  Back in 88, or maybe early 89, the remade
Astronomy single (the one with Stephen King doing the intro about a
"bedtime story for the children of the damned") briefly charted on
WBCN - it made the top 20 for about 2 weeks before disappearing
(something that rather surprised Al and Deb when I told them).  But it
was there long enough for me to hear it, and it inspired me to go out
and track down the original.

It was Newbury comics that convinced me to fill out my BOC collection.
They priced all the old albums at $8 apiece, and after trying a
couple, I rapidly bought up the whole lot.  For a while there (like,
several years), ;-) I became a foaming BOC fanatic.  I originally
tried to start up a discussion about them on the usenet rock-n-roll
newsgroups, but after realising how futile that was, I decided that
the only viable option was a mailing list.

So in a way, Newbury Comics is indirectly responsible for the creation
of this list.  :-)

Steve