3-Pak

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Fri Dec 1 20:05:00 EST 1995

>Also, with regard to the 3-Pak, I found out that record stores don't
>necessarily understand what's going on.  Went to my local Newbury
>comics (which is really a record store that sells comics, for those
>of you that don't know) the other day and found the 3-Pak selling for
>$24.  BUT - each of the individual BOC albums that makes up the 3-Pak
>was selling for $7 each -- you do the math.

>3-Pak was selling for $20.95 at a Best Buy store around here.  And the
>individual albums were in the $9.00 range...  FWIW, I didn't have most
B=D6C
>on CD, and ended up buying both 3-Pak and WotT...

My local Best Buy recently put certain discs on sale.  Anything with the
nice price sticker then make it 6.99.  On top of that they took another 5%.
 All boc with the exception of ETL, OYFOOYK, CC and FOUO fell into this
category.  It made the price of 3 pak competitive.

>Though I agree, they definitely could have had more from the mid to later
>period.  Mirrors had only one, as did CE.  The liners always use the "live
>albums as era marking points", so by that logic they could've done Mirrors,
>CE, and FOUO as a 3-pak also, which I would have preferred to see. =20

This 3 pak I would have purchased as I have these on tape and vinyly but not
cd yet.  Actually I'm having a lot of trouble spotting CE in the stores.
 Everything else is plentiful buit I keep coming up empty on CE.

>At least I hope that Sony's "magic number" will take 3-pak sales into
>account...  If they did, I'd feel better recommending my friends (casual
>listeners who only knew them from Heavy Metal that I dragged along to see
>them at Sunrise) that they get it before WotT.   What can I say, they're
all
>hooked on TCtLDoM after hearing it now...   Most of them are younger,
around
>20 and more into Metallica and the like, but they also all thought "I'd
like
>to see you in Black" was one of the best songs, and they were wanting to
>know what album they could get IT on...<g>

If Sony does takle into account 3 pak then there is some hope that the 100k
number may get there.  I have seen stores that otherwise do not carry a lot
of BOC have 3 pak or WoTT in stock.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
AB