HW: (Fwd) Steve Swindells

Paul G Ward sonique at AARDVARK.APANA.ORG.AU
Sat Dec 2 04:36:40 EST 1995

Here's a copy of a message that Steve Swindells sent me ... thought
that it might interest som of you (check the bit about why he left HW
;^)

Paul

Paul/sonique/downunder

I'm also in shock - ish. What! Someone bought my album in the land of OZ?
Thanx. Note the Hawk' musos who played on it. Trivia 1/ Roger Daltrey recorded
'Don't wait in the stairs' on one album - in about '82 (don't remember the
name).
Trivia 2/ He recorded 'Bitter and Twisted' as the extra song on the McVicar
album.
Trivia 3/ I wrote the two extra songs for his 'Best bits' compilation
album, about '83, I think.
Trivia 4/ Fresh Blood went to no 3 in the US airplay charts.
Trivia 5/ I left Hawkwind when they asked me to be the lead singer! (Tee
hee), recorded the demos then went to NY and got a deal with ATCO in 3
days. Then got great reviews....then zilch. I then went into club promo in
London and started 'the Pure Organisation' which went ballistic. Check The
Face magazine 100th issue for documentation (if you can find one)!

How did this get to me? Well, I 'virtually' live at the interc at fe,
researching my inter column for Time out (how strange to move back to Bath
from London and end-up writing for a magazine in London - weird). I'm not
on-line at home, being a 'starving artist' (again).

The URL for Cerberus Digital Jukebox is http://www.cerberus.co.uk/cdj

Yes, you can check-out the text and pic by clicking on 'artist' then S.
I'm sure you'll find Hawk stuff there as well. I havn't checked. To
download music, you have to sbscribe to the Cercure cash system via credit
card, but it's only 75p per track, I believe. 'Take the highway' is kindof
funky/spacy. 'I'd rather be lonely is like JJ Cale meets house. The enigma
deviations are 'chilling-out' multi-track improv's. Very warm. I'm very
proud of them and have lots more. An album, I hope, one day. Please spread
the word about CDJ!

Time Out has a site where you can check my TECHNO internet column

http:/www.timeout.co.uk

I had an interesting letter which came via Hawk-drummer Martin Griffin
(we're still friends) from a filmaker in Germany. He's hoping to make a
film on Bob Calvert (whom I loved) - maybe you might have some ephemera for
him. I'll e-mail the details to you (I don't have his letter with me). He's
trying to trace the film of the gig we did at some college in N London and
any archive material. Search me mate!?
I'm not in touch with Brock, Bainbridge etc. I never met Turner. I liked
drummer Simon (what a rogue) but have no idea where he is, if he still
'is'.

As for getting 20 letters a day from Hawk fans - Mmmm, I'll think about it.
Certainly I'd like to publicise my CDJ site!

Please let me know if I appear on any compilations/live albums. I'm pretty
sure Brock used to record jam sessions and then put them out himself as the
Sonic Assasins or whatever. Humph. I bet he owes me some royalties!

Take care :!>

Steve

--
Thought for the day:
    Dictatorship (n): a form of government under which everything

Paul Ward        aka: Assassin Sonique'      .---.  __  .--------   Long
R & D Manager, P & C Micro's Pty Ltd        /     \( o`-,  -----   may
mail: sonique at aardvark.apana.org.au        ////    '~ (    ---   they
http://aardvark.apana.org.au/~sonique/    /////// :    ; ---   Fly!