No subject

Jon Jarrett jaj20 at HERMES.CAM.AC.UK
Sat Dec 2 10:58:03 EST 1995

        Well after the wars of late it's getting very intimidating for a
mere newcomer to even _dream_ of venturing on to this hallowed turf... I
haven't been lurking intentionally, I've had a filespace crisis, but
it's still like taking a first step into somewhere very deep and dark with
things in it that are going to bite your legs off if you put a foot
wrong. But I shall have courage. I'm also going to post on a few topics -
forgive me! Forgive me! But I have little time, partic. because of the
number of mails I've had to delete today...

December 13th, at the Forum:

        I will be there! Ticketmaster have confirmed, and I am therefore a
happy bunny. I'll try to get to the pub ( Bull & Gate )beforehand, if you're
sure all you doctors and so on are willing to hang out with a mere _student_...
Actually, seems to me that our academics are all Americanos: or are the
British PhDs just more modest? Idle question. Meanwhile, I'll just play my
live tapes and grin smugly in anticipation.

John Swartz on B.O.C. becoming popular again.

        I've got to say, I don't think it's going to happen. Alas
and alack, and so on, but the fact is the greatest band ever are not
`popular', and thank some politically-correct non-specific deity for
that, say I! How many people on this list like the normal standard of
`pop' song? The thing about taste is it's a matter of being different
from other people: good taste is not something you associate with a
majority of people, because the taste of the general public is, let's
face it, pretty dire. Otherwise B.O.C. would be popular - dead simple.
I'm not even sure if it would be a good thing: the only obvious pay-off
would be stadium gigs, and I'd rather see them in somewhere like the
Forum, or, for choice, Brixton Academy (! Oh yes!) and get them close-up.
Not that stadium effects aren't _cool_, but too far away, you know...?

On the Chronos logo:

        I don't know if I'm retreading old ground here, but there's one
bit about Chronos that's not on the Polyphemus FAQ, which is that in some
cults of Chronos he was held to be the Keeper of the Elysian Fields, the
Hellenic heaven... Whether you can make anything out of that as far as
the band's concerned I have no idea, but it's in the Britannica so it
must be true...

ROBO on Floyd:

        I'd like to sympathise with you about the cardiac arrest effect
of `Time' on DSotM: it sounds just like my bloody clock too. I think you
were harsh on `Comfortably Numb' though - but `Run Like Hell' gets
better every time I hear it...

EVERYONE on coffee:

        Well, you speak for yourselves: as far as I'm concerned a pair of
large cups of good Darjeeling _tea_'ll set me up for the day...

A disclaimer about off-topic digressions like the last one:

        OK, this is a topical discussion group: and I know a guy who
takes over newsgroups with his `fanclub', so I can sympathise with those
who are protective of it for that reason. But if we left all the stuff
about coffee and so on out of it, and clipped all the jokes, and so on
until all we had left was good'n'topical, I for one would find it really
really obsessive. We *need* little digressions to keep us human!
        On the other hand, you _can_ go too far. With heart a-tremble I
step into the Smiley Zone... Dr. Bob - I don't like 'em either. I find it
much easier to get the effect I'm after just by doing *this*, _this_ or
this... but maybe that effect doesn't make it to the reader, I can't
tell. I can see a use for smilies, the only problem I have with them is
that they seem a bit _too_ 'Net-fashion sort of thing. And that's my
point of view, and that's all it is. I'm not going to start a flame war
over it. I've got nothing against flame wars, mind, quite the reverse in
fact, but there's a time and a place for it, and BOC-L isn't it. If
everybody could agree with me on this nice, moderate, sit-on-the-fence
type viewpoint, we might have the good old BOC-L back tomorrow. I assume,
because I wasn't with it then, but I'd be interested to see it...

ANDREW APOLD on your siggie:

        Well, it looks like D&D to me... Watch out, Chancellor, the
quicksilver fumes will steal your memories away!

Generally on Political Correctness:

        No! Don't do it! Try just being *polite*! It's far easier, makes
everyone happier, and doesn't require you to learn a new vocabulary.

DAVE HARDMAN on `Harvest Moon':

        I may just be really thick, but is this the song on the Reservoir
Dogs soundtrack? Who actually did that version? Not one of our heroes
surely! Please advise.

        Right, that's all: sorry it was so huge, but the afore-mentioned
non-specific deity ( SEE how SILLY this is ) only knows when I will next
post, so you got a lot at once. I shall now resume my lurk, unless called
out to face the flames,
                        JAZZA
        |        Jon Jarrett        ()  "What that boy needs is  |
        |      Pembroke College     ()   a damn good haircut     |
        |      Cambridge CB2 1RF    ()   and a spell in the      |
        |   jaj20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk  ()          Army"            |