OFF - Signature explanation

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Sat Dec 2 13:39:32 EST 1995

>ANDREW APOLD on your siggie:
>
>        Well, it looks like D&D to me... Watch out, Chancellor, the
>quicksilver fumes will steal your memories away!

I placed an "off" on this, but since it is so far off topic if you reply to
it send it to me personally (mordru at magg.net)... I only put this on here
because a couple of people had assumed the same thing here on the list...
And for the record, I do occasionally partake in some D&D, but it would not
merit me devoting a signature to it...

Now, responding...

No, it's from a live-action fantasy swords & sorcery organization (called
"Amtgard") that exists mainly in Texas and the U.S. southwest.  It dates
back about fourteen years now, and is my main pasttime.  It is mainly
dedicated to wearing weird outfits, and running around field and hitting
each other with swords made from foam, duct tape, pvc, and other like
materials.  There are a few scattered groups elsewhere, like Florida (where
I live), Oregon, New Hampshire, and Finland...   I send about 90% of my mail
to this organization's ("Amtgard") mailing list, but with joining this list
I should fight the lethargy and perhaps change that...  The structure of
chapters is somewhat similar to SCA, if you familiar with that...
"Chancellor" is an office I hold in the Florida chapter ("Silverwater"), and
as a small group we are a vassal state to our sponsoring kingdom ("Burning
Lands") which is based in El Paso, Texas. =20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
And, just so we can link this back to B=D6C ---

One of the largest Amtgard kingdoms is based in the area of San Antonio and
Austin.  It is known as "The Celestial Kingdom".   I lobbied hard (and
unsuccessfully) to get "Celestial the Queen" made their official
anthem/theme music.  None of them were familiar with it.  But I have managed
to learn it on my flute, and will sneak it in there when I visit them in
February for an event they hold...
Roger Shrubstaff               "I was corrupt befoer I had power!" - Random
Chancellor                                     =20
Barony of Silverwater
Kingdom of the Burning Lands

(Andrew A. Apold)