B+C vs BOC

Paul G Ward sonique at AARDVARK.APANA.ORG.AU
Sun Dec 3 04:13:35 EST 1995

On  2 Dec 95 Andrew A. Apold wrote about B+C vs BOC:

> I've noticed that I seem to be the one of the few (if not only) person o=
> the list who bothers to "alt-153" to get the =D6 in B=D6C, then noticed =
on mail
> from some people who quote it it comes back garbled or in hex or somethi=
ng
> similar.

The problem is that Internet mail is 7-bit, and supports only
characters with ASCII values between 0 and 127. In MIME compatable
mail readers, "extended ASCII" characters (those between 128 and 255)
are encoded with a special 7-bit 'escape sequence' for mail
transport. If the receiving mail reader is not MIME compliant, these
characters will not translate correctly. This is why you will see the
'=D6' looking like a '+' in some replies to earlier messages, or something=

even less intelligable=A1 It will also vary depending on the character set
used by the mail reader!

Anyway, why don't you listen to a nice band like Hawkwind, who have
no umluats, acutes, graves, circonflexs, tildes, slashs, rings or cedillas=

in their name!

Paul (Assassin Soniqu=E9)
--
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit

Paul Ward        aka: Assassin Sonique'      .---.  __  .--------   Long
R & D Manager, P & C Micro's Pty Ltd        /     \( o`-,  -----   may
mail: sonique at aardvark.apana.org.au        ////    '~ (    ---   they
http://aardvark.apana.org.au/~sonique/    /////// :    ; ---   Fly!