ADMIN: Your Moderator Speaks...

Ben Cohen ben at ST-CANARD.SPC.EDU
Sun Dec 3 12:11:58 EST 1995

[<sigh>... And here I was hoping that one of my more enjoyable past-times
wouldn't turn into work.]

Ok, folks, as usually happens, I get a little busy at work and don't have
time to pay attention to whether or not things are degenerating on the list,
and, sure enough, that's the first thing that occurs. Let me make my
position absolutely clear on this:

EVERYONE ON THIS LIST HAS RECEIVED THE INTRODUCTORY "NO FLAMING/KEEP TO THE
TOPIC" MAIL MESSAGE. You either got it when the list moved or you got it
when you subscribed. Originally, I'd thought that we could all be adults
here, but that's evidently not the case. Much as I hate to, I will now turn
into the hall monitor for those of you who insist on being childish.

Starting now, anyone who is perceived (by me) as attempting to start any
sort of flamage will have _one_ of the following events occur:

1) You will be removed unceremoniously from the list. [Actually, you'll be
set to neither send nor receive mail, so you won't even be able to
resubscribe.]

2) Your subscription will be altered so that you will be absolutely unable
to post messages to the list. You'll be able to see what everyone else says,
but you will not be able to send anything.

3) Your subscription will be altered so that anything you do send to the
list will come to me first and I will be your very own personal moderator.
For those cases, I will feel absolutely free to take a scalpel to anything
which seems even remotely off-topic. If I get fed up with doing this for too
long, you'll be moved into category #2 above.

Anyone who is subjected to one of the above will have the right to appeal to
me to have their subscription restored, but I AM NOT PLANNING ON BEING
LENIENT.

If anyone has any problems with this or has any requests as to who should be
the first, please don't hesitate to e-mail me at <ben at st-canard.spc.edu>. I
will _NOT_ appreciate on-going discussion of this policy change on the list.

THIS STOPS *N*O*W*.
   Y<definitely not so>hM,
   Ben