Off Topic: julian cope/kraut rock

Andrew Gilham emphyrio at CIX.COMPULINK.CO.UK
Mon Dec 4 06:07:00 EST 1995

> > > Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation, Alpha Centauri, Atem, Zeit
> >                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Hmm, I'd be interested to know also, since this falls somewhere between
> the
> more dissonant Electronic Meditation and the totally awesome Green
> Desert.

I dunno myself, and it's hard to quote selectively from Cope's review
(you'd have to read the whole thing to really understand why :), but *he*
certainly loves it!  Do you trust him? :)

> Re:  the krautrock list - wot, no Einstuerzende Neubaten   ?!

Well, "Krautrock" doesn't mean just any rock music from Germany - it
specifically refers to the West German freakout scene (roughly '68 to
'75).  The "kraut" part is a kind of ironic self-deprecating proto-punk
thing, exemplified by ADII's "Mr Kraut's Jinx" and "La Krautoma",
"Krautrock" on _Faust IV_, and Moebius/Plank's gorgeously titled
_Rastakraupasta_ (!).  There was also a Brain (ultra-hip record label)
sampler entitled, _Krautrock_.

BTW, I was listening to MC5's _Kick out the Jams_ the other day, and
during "Starship" I thought, hold on, this sounds like "Electronic No.
1"...

- Andy