Possible Virus/Solution and other Info

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Tue Dec 5 12:20:00 EST 1995

Receieved via Private E-mail from Chris:

>do you have any more info on this virus? I opened
>the file without any problems but does this mean I'm
>not infected? Is it one of these new fangled macro-viruses
>that seem to be coming out of micro$oft ?
>What effect does it have - I saved your file to the server
>here at work and would like to know so that we can take
>any remedial action.

Chris and others who use the MS Word version of the directory:

If the virus is contained in the Word Document it will cause you problems
when using Word only.  It somehow corrupts the Normal Template, and stops
Word from responding or general protection faults.  The cure is to reinstall
or use and earlier version of the Normal Template.  It never caused any
problems with any other programs to my knowledge.  Our OA staff tells me
that some memos sent from our Corp. headquaters contained the virus.  We
activiated it when we clicked on the attachment and called up Word.  They
devised a macro which fixed the problem.  If you experience any I'll try to
find the macro but you may want to talk to your OA staff prior to using it.

AB