BOC: 12/03/95 Show Review

john paine jpaine at LINKNET.KITSAP.LIB.WA.US
Mon Dec 11 17:24:44 EST 1995

On Mon, 11 Dec 1995, John A Swartz wrote:

> As previously mentioned, I got to see BOC in St. Petersburg Florida
> a week ago.  Here is my review.
>
> John Swartz
>

> The technical details:
>
> Approximately 300-400 were in attendance - probably the smallest BOC
> concert I've attended (this show was my 6th), but for a Sunday night in
> Florida (with GWAR also playing in town that night), it wasn't a bad
> turnout.

I've had a slightly different experience.  Most of the shows I've seen
them in are around that figure.  Joe Bouchard did a gig in Orlando in
March of 91 (Ithink) as front man for something called the Cult Bros.  I
looked for the then-promised album, but never found it.

>The crowd was mostly an older one, but there were a
> few younger folks there as well, proving that BOC has something to
> offer for everyone.

That is certainly true enough.  Many of the concert-goers I have seen
could not have possibly picked up on BOC when they packed the big
arenas.  Lets hear for the indy radio stations!

> It appears that the band has re-worked the new songs somewhat.  The
> break before the last verse in *Harvest Moon* seems more complex, and
> now very heavy.  Also, I'm not sure, but there may be some additional
> lyrics to *I'd Like To See You In Black* -- maybe I've just grown more
> accustomed to the song, but the title lyric doesn't seem as repetitive
> as it used to.  Both songs were very well received by the crowd,
> proving that BOC doesn't have to rely on the same classics every time
> to get a good response (although the classics still get the biggest
> response).  Latest word on the new album from Eric during the show was
> "next summer".

When did Harvest Moon become part of the playlist?

> The "boogie" ending of *Cities On Flame With Rock And Roll* now sounds
> more like speed metal.  BOC seems to be adding a more heavy element to
> their music with this break, along with songs like *I'd Like To See You
> In Black* and *Lips In The Hills*.

"I know just what I want it to sound like . . ."

> Finally, this show also brought back my faith and hope that BOC will
> continue as a band for years to come.  While they may never play large
> halls again, they still rock (and could show many bands of these times
> how to really rock and roll), and it appears that a good time was had
> by all - fans and band alike.  And as long as we're all still having
> fun, let's keep the party going . . .

HEAR HEAR

A passerby in Times Square