BOC: 12/03/95 Show Review

Shawn Quinn squinn at DIGITAL.NET
Mon Dec 11 17:31:38 EST 1995

Excellent review - John should publish.  Did you bring your portable PC to
the show to take notes ? Incrediably detailed !  Anyway, as I mentioned in a

>The sound quality
>was excellent (which was a pleasant surprise as I complained about this
>for a show they did in New Hampshire this past summer, and a few others
>have also complained about a poor mix for some recent shows) - very
>clear and not overpoweringly loud (i.e., my ears weren't ringing the
>next morning when I woke up).

This is the only item I must disagree on - I thought the sound was marginal.
I'm not sure where John was sitting but from where I was (front row in front
of Buck), the sound was somewhat distorted.  The Melbourne and Jacksonville
shows were much better with respect to this detail. - I asked Rick about
this at the Orange Park show and he said he was not happy about the venue at
all.  He told me that the Band does not bring there own production equipment
(speakers - etc..) - and must rely on the club.

>It appears that the band has re-worked the new songs somewhat.  The
>break before the last verse in *Harvest Moon* seems more complex, and
>now very heavy.  Also, I'm not sure, but there may be some additional
>lyrics to *I'd Like To See You In Black* -- maybe I've just grown more
>accustomed to the song, but the title lyric doesn't seem as repetitive
>as it used to.  Both songs were very well received by the crowd,
>proving that BOC doesn't have to rely on the same classics every time
>to get a good response (although the classics still get the biggest
>response).  Latest word on the new album from Eric during the show was
>"next summer".

Agreed - in fact Harvest Moon was played a little differently at all three
shows.

>Danny "The Law" Miranda is definitely the best BOC bassplayer since Joe
>Bouchard.

Agreed - Danny's enthusiasm serves the band well.

>Finally, this show also brought back my faith and hope that BOC will
>continue as a band for years to come.  While they may never play large
>halls again, they still rock (and could show many bands of these times
>how to really rock and roll), and it appears that a good time was had
>by all - fans and band alike.  And as long as we're all still having
>fun, let's keep the party going . . .
>

>From what Eric and Buck have told me - this is their living.  So I would
expect to see them out on the road periodically for sometime.  Other than
the sound (and it really was not horrible - just not as good as the other
venues), I had a blast at the show.  As many of you know, the band is now on
their way to Europe.

Shawn