BOC London/Offtop: Satriani

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Tue Dec 12 11:11:08 EST 1995

> All is quiet from Andy Gilham lately; is he still on the list?

He's in Morroco.

> Off-topically, I can't resist mentioning that I saw Joe Satriani at
> Wembley on Sunday. What an astounding guitar player!! However, he almost
> had the show stolen from him by his bass player who, I think, is called
> Stuart Ham. This guy is incredible; he plays a solo spot in which he does
> loads of tapping technique, taking in a fantastic version of the Star
> Spangled Banner - drawing several elicitations of spontaneous
> applause/cheering from this British audience - and also a mad piece of
> country banjo-style playing.

I saw Satch playing back on the Flying in a Blue Dream Tour. You are
correct. Stu Hamm is un-fucking-believable, especially on his solo piece
(did he do the Peanuts/Snoopy song as well?) I was going to go to this
but I much rather see Joe at a smaller venue. Mr. Vai might have the
technical expertise and vision, but his tutor really makes a guitar sing.

Anyway, see you tomorrow,

Tim