OFF Stu Hamm

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Tue Dec 12 13:38:19 EST 1995

> Andy writes:
>
> > However, he almost
> had the show stolen from him by his bass player who, I think, is called
> Stuart Ham. This guy is incredible; he plays a solo spot in which he does
> loads of tapping technique, taking in a fantastic version of the Star
> Spangled Banner - drawing several elicitations of spontaneous
> applause/cheering from this British audience - and also a mad piece of
> country banjo-style playing.
>

> Stu Hamm is recognized as one of the finest bass-players in the
> business - and an expert when it comes to bass-tapping.  I'm currently
> trying to get one or two of his CDs ("The Urge", and "Kings of Sleep")
> to get a good listen to him myself.  Did he do the "Peanuts" theme song
> (otherwise known as "Linus and Lucy") on his bass?  I hear it's pretty
> incredible!
>
> John

IMHO, the best SH release is "Radio Free Albemuth". Satch is on guitar
on several of the tracks. He does his country hoedown track ("Hey, man,
play some country!" Then, at the end, "Hey, man, play a polka!") as well
as two classical solos. No "L&L", but I may have to see if I can find the
release that has that on it (didn't know he did that one)! "KoS" was
disappointing, being almost generic heavy-metal in comparison to "RFA".
It didn't have half the diversity and styles as "RFA". But the playing is
top-notch. "RFA" was on Relativity (Satch's label for his first couple of
CD's).

      -m------- Craig Shipley   aka: craigs at pyratl.ga.pyramid.com
    ---mmm----- Pyramid Technology Corporation, A Siemens-Nixdorf Company
  -----mmmmm--- 1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE, Suite 400