Brain Surgeons stuff

Mon Dec 18 08:27:49 EST 1995

Torgo says:

>Did someone just say the Albert APOLOGIZED for "The Brain from Terra
Incognita"????? This is easily one of my faves from Epo!! You gotta
admit the "destruction, oblivion..." part has hooks hooks HOOKS!
Albert, for shame, you should NEVER offer an apology for artistic
vision.

I'm not 100% sure on this - perhaps someone who was around about a year
ago remembers this thread (it started when I posted a Rolling Stone
review of *Eponymous*, and while the review was good, the reviewer
didn't like "Brain ...", and I disagreed -- it might have been Deb
who either apologized or stated that Albert had apologized for it).
Anyways, it does have some good stuff in it (and Albert sometimes
autographs stuff with the words "Bolts of Ungodly Vision" in them).

>And since we are on the subject of Al, did anyone else pick up on how
much different Al sounds than from the BOC days? I mean, you can tell
it's him for sure, but he sounds much more evil and menacing these
days. Take "Mad Dude" for instance. Just the "murdering maggots,
murdering frogs" bit sends chills down my spine.

Well, Al did admit that a few songs on *Eponymous* had some vocal
enhancement.  I asked him about the heaviness of some of his vocals
on *Eponymous*, and he indicated that "Mad Dude" and "I Play the
Drums" have low vocal harmonizer on them.  On the other hand, "Most
Romantic Place in the World" has no vocal effects, and that one sounds
pretty heavy too.

>In my opinion, they
sound the same, that is to say that, even though no two BS songs
really sound that much similar, these 2 CDs could have been jumbled
and released as a 2 CD set and I think each song would have fit
perfectly with the others.

Well, perhaps stylistically and lyrically the songs from the 2 CDs
could overlap, but "sonically" I think they are almost night and day.
The stuff on *Trepanation* is much more a BAND production, and the
guitars are much more up-front.  *Eponymous* could almost be more
aptly described as a Bouchard/Frost solo (duo?) album -- in fact, the
current line-up of the Brain Surgeons was not in place until AFTER
*Eponymous* was recorded.  I agree that no 2 Brain Surgeons' songs
really sound similar -- they have a diverse set of styles (witness
"Brain from Terra Incognita" and then go listen to something like
"My Civilization").

John