BOC: London gig / Hi!

Hardman DK D.K.Hardman at CITY.AC.UK
Tue Dec 19 09:30:37 EST 1995

> > tight, never letting up the pace or energy and was most satisfying.
The solos > > were largely based on the studio recordings,

Did you think so? I'm not sure I'd agree. Stairway clearly wasn't the
same solo, though whether he does the same solo every time on this tour I
couldn't say. I've heard different solos on some live recordings. Also,
I'm pretty sure Dr Music wasn't the same solo, though the jazzy style was
the same. ETI wasn't the studio version, though seemed pretty much like
the usual live version.

Burnin' for You wasn't the same, and I also have a question about the
performance of this number: When I first saw this number performed back in
'81 Buck didn't actually play his guitar until the song reached the
chorus; during the verse he held the guitar in his hands. I presume Allen
and Eric covered the guitar duties during the verses. This time round,
however, I think I'm right in saying that Buck played the guitar
throughout. Has anyone else noticed this, and if I'm right what's the
reason for the change?

Take Me Away also has a different guitar solo from the record, presumably
because Aldo Nova did the original version.

The Red & the Black I thought had an improvised solo, though not greatly
different from the way it's usually played -- after all, I guess once you
know where the solo lies on the fretboard then it's not too hard just to
play variations around that.

As for the other songs, I either can't remember or I couldn't hear properly.

Sorry if this message is a bit train-spotter-ish on the topic of guitar
solos, but....er....er....I guess I'm just a bit of a train-spotter!

Dave