Egg-nog on the edge of time

Martyn White white at BORG.MED.ECU.EDU
Wed Dec 20 14:53:54 EST 1995

>Martyn,
>How the hell did you know what advocaat is?  I thought it was
>strictly a continental quaff.  I've seen it with French labeling,
>calling it 'avocat.'  Anyway, in the U.S., egg nog is
>usually made with brandy or bourbon, I believe.
>theo
        Well I grew up in England and me mum would buy herself
a bottle of Advocaat for Xmas-time.  Nasty-lookin yellow stuff
with a tendency to separate into a watery phase and a congealed
phase.

>>Anyway, in the U.S., egg nog is
>>usually made with brandy or bourbon, I believe.
>>theo
>
>I thought it was rum?
>
>ROBO
        hmmmm.  I wonder if you can make it with gin :-)

>I used to think that was a bird - but that's an avocet (or something
>similar).
>
>jill

        Avocet /n. / wading bird with long legs and
upturned bill. [F f. It.]

>still working 8-((

        me too

>Here is the "easy" version
>
>6 eggs
>6 cups milk
>>>Sugar to taste
>Pinch of salt
>Half-pint Bourban
>Half-pint Dark Rum
>
>Beat eggs with salt.
>Add milk and mix well.
>Put in saucepan and stir over a low flame until thickened.
>DO NOT LET IT BOIL!!!!
>Add sugar to taste, around a half cup
>Add liquor.
>Chill.
>Pour into frost cups and sprinkle nutmeg on top.
>
>In the hard version you seperate the eggs, making the yolks
>into a thin custard sauce, and whipping the whites to a froth, then
>folding them into to the sauce-liquor mix.

Very cheap and easy version.

One carton of "Egg Nog" (nonalcoholic US grocery store version)
One pint of "Old Grandad"

Carefully add the "Old Grandad" to the "Egg Nog" taking care not
to spill any
Drink immediately

Merry Xmas

Martyn