BS: My Impressions of Mamakin Gig

Rudich, Robert A Rudich at VOLPE2.DOT.GOV
Thu Dec 28 09:46:00 EST 1995

This will just augment Rich's  & John's comments.

My 1st real exposure to the Surgeons.  I got both CD's and the CoC tape, but
only got to listen to the tape before the show, so I went in with virgin
ears.  (Well, only slightly used.  You've heard that before)  BTW - The room
they played is the smaller stage area, Rich.  There is a larger one that
sounds just as good and flanked by 2 bars.  I saw you in your BS-T and your
lady in the BOC-L T, but you moved too fast for me to catch at the end.  To
 those on the list, Rich is pretty tall, so his height comment is
understandable.

Deb has a real Gracie Slick kind of stage persona and vocal style that I
liked a lot.  She can rival Al on the drums too.  Al was everywhere on stage
and ended with a Micro guitar riff to close the show (thanks to John).  That
almost made up for the lack of an Albertron.  Got my CoC cover autographed
after the show (Thanks!, Deb and Al).

My wife generally "rocks out" on the Eagles, but she really got swept away
during this show.  We are both looking forward to seeing them again.  This
is really high praise from her, she even started to bop by the stage at the
end.

I really liked the live version of "Language of Love".  It has a bit more
edge than the studio version and probably made me look forward to it more
when I listened to the CD after the show.  Probably my favorite of the show,
I'm a sucker for throaty French.

Peter did a special Xmas ditty that kept running through my head as I sat
bored at my in-laws for Xmas day.

David H. (bass) seemed have a wet palm most of the show, so that may explain
why the bass was relatively low.  It was pretty tasty.  Maybe he can mount a
Bounty  dispenser on the body.

The Cult Bros. are still alive and kicking.  Expect them to pop up in the FL
area shortly (e.g., Orlando).  They will have a new young vocalist that is a
knockout.   A must see.

Back to my more usual Hawk mode,
Rudy
(Good chatting with you, John)