HW: new bootleg

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Fri Dec 29 16:59:03 EST 1995

Johan Edlundh writes:

> If this is the second CD-R boot, how many more is there to come?
> Isn't this the Kollektor's Nightmare?

Yep, sure is.  In fact, I hear that one of the design goals of the
CD-R committee was expressly to give Kollectors sleepless
nights (and empty wallets)... ;-)

> Soon almost everyone has the equipment needed to do an own run of 20 or 30
> ex, and soon almost everyone would put out their own 20 or 30 ex
> compilation, maybe based on the three Anthology vinyls...

Yes, depressing, isn't it?

But, as I see it, we have but only one course of action: take a leaf
out of Frank Zappa's book and BEAT THE BOOTS!

CD-R works both ways.  It is just as easy, now, to bootleg the
bootleggers.  If you are interested in the contents of a bootleg CD,
and not the fact that it is (artificially) rare, then find someone who
has it and copy it.  (This is when CD-R machines are widespread, of
course.)  No reason we should be funnelling money into the pockets of
bootleggers, now, is there?  If you find such a notion ethically
troubling, simply think of it as trading audio tapes, but on shiny
little discs instead.

CD-R machines are not as rare as you might think.  They even have one
in a lab here.

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Ozric Tentacles, _Live Ethereal Cereal_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.