Slightly left of topic

Ed Eichendorf ike at MO.NET
Thu Nov 2 21:49:33 EST 1995

Date: Tuesday, 31-Oct-95 05:32 PM

From: Ted O. Jackson           \ Internet:    (tojackso at hawk.syr.edu)
To:   Multiple recipients of list BOC-L \ Internet:    (boc-l at listserv.spc.
edu)

Subject: Re: Slightly left of topic

> With all the talk of Amon Duul and such - was just wondering if any of you
folks
> remember a German band on the old Billingsgate label by the name of
Lucifer's
> Friend - I have a release by this group that has some very nice heavy
guitar -
> B-3 organ type of sound w/ song titles like 'In the time of job, when
mammon was
> a yippie'  that's the only one I can remember.
>                          (snip)
> Mr. Boy

Mr. Boy,
I sure do Remember Lucifer's Friend.  They had an amazing singer, John
Lawton, I believe, and, if I'm not mistaken, the virtuoso bass player Trevor
Bolder (who I think played with Bowie's Spiders-era band).  Yeah, the lyrics
were rarely as good as those you mention. I think my copy was actually on a
fairly mainstream US label.  I have one lp by them, and I think the title is
'Fate's Warning.' but I'll have to make a trip to my vinyl vault to verify
any of this.  Anyone else out there remember them?  Robo? AB? theo

 I have their first two albums on CD. Of the two I like the first one better
. Altogether they put out eight albums. John Lawton was a member of the band
and he later went on to sing for Uriah Heep. The liner notes for the CD make
no mention of a change in bass
players from the original member Dieter Horns. IMO the first album rocks.
Well defined
bass passages, that way cool early '70s organ sound and driving guitar work.
My CD was
put out by Repertoire Records and makes no mention of Billingsgate. However,
my dad has
the Billingsgate vinyl from which the following definition of Billingsgate
comes:

   Practiced fluency and variety of profane and obscene abuse, I.E.
asskickin'

 If anyone is interested in the liner notes let me know and I'll type 'em up
.

--
-