HW: Space Daze book

HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM
Sat Nov 4 02:44:32 EST 1995

PXR5,

     Ouch, ten bucks? I don't know why it was priced so high
here. I bought it in Clairemont, Ca., not too far from
Cleopatra's HQ's. Well, still don't regret it. I'd seen it
there a good nine months or so before I finally gave in. Done
with it now. Not too pleased w/the way this Thompson guy
handled the Hawks after '75. Referred to ASAM and QS&C as
"poppy", completely wrote off the '80s as simply "confused",
due to a lot of the member changes. Said they were nothing more
than a heavy metal band during this time. And worst of all,
accused them of being after money with no real passion for the
music anymore. As if HW not being as much a part of the
underground anymore ruined them. Bullshit, how could he dismiss
Live Chronicles and other great sounds from the '80s as
garbage? How could the masterful QS&C-PXR5 Calvert era not be
touted?  I guess the they were expected to keep churning out
the same kind of stuff as the early '70s?
      Whatever... One person's opinion. Anyway, I'd really
recommend this book to others on the list who don't have it
yet, stuff on the newer bands, too, such as the Orb, Ozric
Tentacles, Sky Cries Mary.
      Also, I learned that Del Dettmar had a solo project
called Melodic Energy Commision that released two albums. I
don't think I ever read of this on BOC-L. Any one have any
comments on these albums?

Chuck