OFFTOP: more Sundial.....

Keith A Henderson khenders at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Sun Nov 5 13:21:56 EST 1995

Carl sayz....
>         I have a vague recollection of someone on this list having
> said they had seen a copy of Sundial's _Return Journey_ or _Other Way
> Out_ on CD in a shop somewhere ...

On the topic of Sundial, which started six weeks or so ago....after reading
some of these posts, and coming across one of their discs in a used CD shop a
few weeks ago ('Reflector'), I decided to try them out.  Anyway, the music
is pretty decent, but not a must have, IMHO.  Other albums may be more
exciting....I remember Return Journey being touted as their best, I think.

But the real reason I'm posting is that their sound seems very similar to
another band that I quite liked....'Levitation'.  And yes, I took a chance on
buying their debut album partly because of the band's name, and also the cover
made it look like something I might like.  The band featured (past tense
because I think they are now defunct) Terry Bickers, who came from 'House of
Love' (a band I've *never* heard a single track by).  Their first album,
'Coterie' is sort of Hawkwindish in that some of the tracks are live, and some
are studio recordings.  But the writing is real strong, and there's a
psychedelic touch to some of it.  And as I said, there is a strong resemblance
to Sundial's style as well, so I'd recommend 'Coterie' to Sundial fans.
Levitation's follow-up, called 'Need for Not', should've just been called
'Not', as it was a huge disappointment, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Keith H.