HW: A Link ?

Martyn Lawrence martynl at FUJITSU.COM.AU
Mon Nov 6 15:09:30 EST 1995

        Hi Paul

> Gidday All,
>
> I was reading the sunday paper today, and came across an article on
> Australian band, Far From The Madding Crowd. I'm not sure what sort
> of music they  play, but given the Hardian title, and the fact that
> one of the member's was an opera student, I doubt seriously if it
> could be considered anything remotely like Space Rock.
>
> However, there are links:
>
> 1) They are one of only a few Australian bands who have played at the
>    Glastonbury Festival (last year)
> 2) The band was formed by British ex-pat Harry Williamson, who has
>    worked with Sting, Genesis and Peter Gabriel, toured as a Rolling
>    Stones crew member, and played with "'70s progressive rock outfit
>    Sphynx"

HW also played in Mother Gong with Gilli Smyth,who were at glastonbury in
1981 ,and he played in Gong Maison with Daevid Allen.
There is also mention of Harry Williamson and Harvey Bainbridge collaboration
with a score to "tarka the Otter" ? mentioned in one of the gong albums,but
dont know if this was ever released.

> 3) This is the one that caught my eye. The sax player's name is
>    Robert Calvert!

This guy has been causing confusion for years,with OUR Robert Calvert,I think
Hawkfan 2 mentions about the imposter,who played with Catapilla.

I saw the ad as well ,and thought about going,but from the picture shown it looked like there was an overgrown lute,so will be giving it amiss.
On the other hand Harry Williamson is a sort of gong relative and since DAevid
Allen used to live in Melbourne(I think he lives in the uk now),I wondered
whether they might play some gong stuff.

regards

Marty

p.s Sorry for lovers of the lute,but it ain't me ,now give me an axe and a vcs3
and your talkin'