One thought at a Time Today 11/6/95

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Mon Nov 6 11:54:00 EST 1995

Real diversity of thinking on this line, thats wehy I love it so much.
 Todays thoughts

Unplugged vs. plugged -

>yeah, any song can be done unplugged, but how will it sound?  I just think
>some songs don't come across effectively if they were done on the
>acoustic...imagine Born To Be Wild on acoustic, it probly wouldn't be too
>wild...although, the song could've originally be written on the acoustic or
>piano, the electric makes it happen...
>ROBO
> Who the Hell wants to hear 'em unplugged anyway?  That's
> something the MTV/Guppy generation dreamed up.  I'd just
> as soon skip that crap.
>> RR
>Amen to that!  Why the big deal about hearing bands do something
>other than what they do best?  BOC is the greatest ELECTRIC rock band
>of all time.  Why cooperate with some made-for-MTV concept.  Leave
>the wooden boxes to those who play them full time...
>theo
>I'm with RR & theo on this one.  Heavy metal bands are not meant to be
>"unplugged."  I saw KISS last night and thought they sucked.  Its too bad,
>because they were one of the first bands I really liked (even if all their
>songs were in the key of C :-) )
>I would hate to see BOC do an "unplugged" gig and turn off potential new
>fans.  Too risky, IMO.
>Dr. Bob
> I can't imagine MTV having a BOC unplugged thing.  MTV is
>only interested in currently popular or up-and-coming bands, and
>BOC's obvious talents aside, they show no signs of fitting either
>of those descriptions.  KISS, to be sure, are hardly selling out arenas but
it has
>been very popular among young bands to claim KISS influences in the
>last few years--and of course even people who were _never_ KISS fans
>still remember the band from their iconography.  I think BOC is just
>too obscure ...
>Carl
 Well obviously none of these guys like the accoustic thing.

>There's been alot of talk about whether BOC should or would do an
>unplugged set. Now I'm not a big fan of eMpTyV, but I feel that
>getting QUALITY bands to do unplugged sets is one of the GOOD things
>about it. I don't think that they should make it their regular thing,
>but an occasional unplugged gig is kinda fun. For one thing, it shows
>the musical talent of the band. If a band uses loud, distorted
>concerts and studio tricks to hide their lack of talent, an unplugged
>set would be a real "put up or shut up" for them. Any lack of talent
>would shine through their act in a second. Also,if eMpTyV is going to
>improve (it can't get worse), getting BOC unplugged would be the first
>step in the right direction.
I'll leave this caller anonymous so that he is not lumped in the same
category as myself. I would agree with this writer, a great song will still
be a great song no matter how its played or what its played on. The key is
it takes real talent to sit their and play a familiar song to an audience
without toys.  I don't think that anywoine on this list woudl dare suggest
Kiss has more talent than BOC.  I thought Nirvana sucked until I heard their
unplugged set.  Songs I hated suddenly sounded ok to me.  Still not a big
fan of theirs but have a greater appreciation of their music.  BOC could do
this easily and I think all you doubters would really enjoy the Oyster boys
palying an entire set acoustically.  Kiss was fair to mediocre in their
performance, though I thought they did a good job with Domino.

BOC In Cleveland - No more directions please, Cleveland is a bit too far to
see BOC for me.  Thanks anyway.

Robo's guitar - Glad to see Robo would let Buck play his guitar, chalk up
one for being politically correct. :>).

Bowie song - Yeah I think thats the one, that line sounds familiar.

HW - Unplugged - Yeah I was kidding on this one, but MTV has put on some
pretty wierd artist.

Can't figure out which one I prefer most Subhuman (OYFOOYK, ST) or Blue
Oyster Cult (Imaginos).

Al in a video on MTV?  That would be neat.

Five in the Player - Clarification John S. asked about the Brain Surgeons
not being in the palyer, my response was I have EPO on tape so id didn't
count.  I do include tapes in the player but on that day it was all cd's.
 Thanks for the reminder about the Surgeons though John it has been awhile.
 This may seem strange to some (o.k. everbody) but I play music based on how
I feel and see no problem listening to the same groups music over several
days.

New top five songs of the day -

Battle Cry - Triumph
Child of the Novelty - Mahogany Rush
Take Me Away - BOC
Moonglum (Friend Without a Cause) - HW
Remeber Me - Ace Frehely
Bye for now and to all you plug it up type guys feel free to flame I'm
wearing abestos today.

AB