Sensitive to Criticizm?

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Wed Nov 8 10:00:41 EST 1995

> First, I wonder if this is really true.  I'm having trouble accepting that
> any celebrity in the public domain is really affected by criticism here, or
> anywhere else for that matter.  They know that it goes with the territory,
> and that it is the price of fame and success.  I'll bet they're laughing all
> the way to the bank, and MORE POWER TO THEM. (I have to smile when I consider
> whether Eric or Al or any other celebrity really gives a rat's ass what I
> think, or what Chip thinks, or what AB thinks, or what Torgo thinks....etc.)
>
> I express my opinion of someone's talent with my wallet, and not my keyboard.
> Put out a good product and I'll buy it (diaper budget allowing).  Doesn't
> matter if its buying a CD, or going to a movie, or anything else for that
> matter.
>
> I know, I know.......someone's going to say that this is a different
> situation because current and former BOC members are "in touch" with their
> fans in cyberspace.  To which I say...yeah, so what?  I think its awesome
> that they take the time to communicate with the fans.  Its a rarity indeed
> for any public figure to be so "down to earth" and keep tabs on their fans
> (of which I'm one, don't forget).  But do they really care what we SAY?  I
> think it matters more to them what we BUY.
>
> The other argument is going to be "but we as fans can influence their future
> releases by stating our likes and dislikes."  To which I say...oh really,
> does that include new BOC material?
>
> This is just my view on things.  It just really bugs me when I see comments
> about "so and so was insulted by comments on the list" (no offense, Chip).  I
> reiterate that I find it hard to believe that someone in the cut-throat world
> of entertainment has such a thin skin that comments from here are going to
> hurt them.  If a person really wanted to hurt a celebrity, they would refrain
> from buying their product.
>

> -Dr. Bob
> rkohl at state.de.us
> (expressing his opinions of celebrities' talents by having just purchased tix
> for an upcoming BOC gig, purchasing the Sony 3 pack, and due to order BS's
> Trepanations)
>
> P.S.-If someone sees fit to post this on AOL, that's OK with me.

Bob,
Amen and a fine bit of cogent writing.  First of all, I think that
human nature might allow even seasoned music veterans to harbor a bit
of resentment over our comments.  That's normal.  However, I think
it's a pretty wee bit indeed.  The time for a thin skin is earlier in
a celeb's career when they're really taking a pounding in print
(commensurate with their degree of fame/wealth/celebrity)  The
Oysters are old enough and been in the biz long enough and taken way
more shit from bigger folks than us to allow anything we might say to
bum them out too much.  I do think, though, that the band might take
our words to heart just a bit more 'cause they know we're rabid fans
(or we wouldn't be on the net in the first place).  So, while bands
can certainly dismiss hate mail of the kind your scenario envisions,
I think criticism from BOC-L may carry just the least bit more
weight.

Furthermore, the criticisms leveled in this forum (and I've made a
few, sorry Albert--didn't know you cared, I love you, you're the
greatest!!!) have been so apologetic and caring that I don't see how
anyone could be too offended.  I think I once criticized Albert's
'Zilla drum solo, but then turned around and said that I thought he
was among the top drummers ever to pound.  Nobody flamed me for it.
By the tone of the few criticisms out here, it's obvious that the
fans really care about the band, and I think that Albert and Eric are
certainly intelligent enough to see it.  Maybe they neglect the
airwaves simply because these guys are so damned busy.  They spend a
lot of time traveling, doing soundchecks, doing radio appearances,
jamming, playing gigs.  It's not a 9-5 job.  Could be their perceived
disdain for BOC-L is nothing more than a tight schedule.  As you
said, Bob, we should be glad to have the cyberspace connection.  I'd
have given anything for such an opportunity 20 years ago when BOC
ruled the world...
theo