HW: Robert Calvert

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Wed Nov 8 10:03:17 EST 1995

> reply to a reply:
>

> >BTW, the "missing" track, "The Widow's Song", which was on the lyrics
> >sheet but not on the LP, turned up eventually on _Friends and Relations
> >3_ (in a new recording?).  I don't suppose it's on the CD?
> >
> >- Andy
> >

> There is a song called The Widow Maker, if this is the song you mean, it's on
> there.
> Duane
>
> --

No "Widow Maker" is not the same as "The Widow's Song". "WM" is a rocky,
up-tempo, snarled "lovesong" to the F-104 Starfighter. "TWS" is a mournful
ballad that SHOULD be included on a re-issue of "CL&TSF".

Historical note; the 104 was designed to be an interceptor and most services
that used it (Italian, Greek, Turkish, Japan to name a few outside of the
USAF) in that role exclusively. The reborn Luftwaffe decided to use the
airframe for roles it was never designed for, which is why they lost so
damn many of them. Kinda like using a Corvette to haul concrete blocks
around in, if ya get my drift! Personally, the 104, along with most of
the '50's-era aircraft, is one of my favorite aircraft, from a design
factor.

Craig (one of whose biggest avaition thrills was watching an SR-71 do
touch & goes at McClellan AFB in 1984)

      -m------- Craig Shipley   aka: craigs at pyratl.ga.pyramid.com
    ---mmm----- Pyramid Technology Corporation, A Siemens-Nixdorf Company
  -----mmmmm--- 1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE, Suite 400