Sensitive to Criticizm?

Skip Galvin skipg at COMPUMEDIA.COM
Thu Nov 9 02:15:10 EST 1995

Dr. Bob writes:

So I'm reading these things where both a former member and a current member
of BOC are sensitive to criticism on an e-mail list.  Is this a reasonable
representation of the situation?  If it is, then I have a few thoughts:

First, I wonder if this is really true.  I'm having trouble accepting that
any celebrity in the public domain is really affected by criticism here, or
anywhere else for that matter.  They know that it goes with the territory,
and that it is the price of fame and success.  I'll bet they're laughing all
the way to the bank, and MORE POWER TO THEM. (I have to smile when I consider
whether Eric or Al or any other celebrity really gives a rat's ass what I
think, or what Chip thinks, or what AB thinks, or what Torgo thinks....etc.)"

I tend to think celebrities are affected by criticism. Some of them may
learn that it comes with the territory but you can't go to a school to learn
these things.  An artist puts his ass on the line, it's a risky venture. I
don't think you can take the bottom-line only approach of a businessman. Even
Bill Gates, a man with some spare change, gets a bit defensive when
criticized for being a better businessman than innovator.

I would think a celebrity/artist needs a strong support group of friends
and family to deal with the BS  I'm sure it has got to be a little rough
having somebody tell you "hey, you were great on that one tv show in the
late 70's but your a has-been now and your new acting gig will go
nowhere"  The dark side of the entertainment business is littered
with casualties. People who were stars ten years ago, loved by everyone,
including their agent and manager who do laugh-everytime "they" go to the
bank.

after they've been around awhile.