Sensitive to Criticizm?

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Thu Nov 9 08:38:06 EST 1995

> From: albert bouchard <wk06705 at WORLDLINK.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Sensitive to Criticizm?
> Then Ted O. Jackson wrote:
> > be too offended.  I think I once criticized Albert's 'Zilla drum solo,
> > but then turned around and said that I thought he was among the
> > top drummers ever to pound.
>
>         I have a confession to make. Most drum solos I find kind of boring. So
> I can honestly say I haven't played two the same in 25 years. Consequently
> some are better than others. I'll cop to that. I wouldn't even care if you
> said you hate all drum solos. I'd just think we're on different wave-lengths.
>

>         Well I said before when I joined the list and which I'll repeat for
> the sake of any of the 'newbies' that if many people feel that I'm inhibiting
> their free expression then I'll piss-off (in the continental sense). This
> forum is for the free exchange of ideas about Hawkwind and BOC. I find it
> entertaining and I have no interest in a BOC or Al love-fest. That would be
> embarassing and unnecessary.
>         On the other hand, the few personal attacks we've had on here made me
> a little uncomfortable so if we're nice and civil it makes it more fun. Also
> what makes it more fun is if we can all have a sense of humor about our
> discussions. Let's not be TOO serious about all this. OK?
> Al

Al,
I did pretty much say (in a previous post) that I hate all drum
solos.  Maybe it's 'cause I'm a guitar player.  But I generally hate
guitar solos--i.e. ones where the gtr player is playing all by
himself--symptomatic of 80s hair-band excess.  But I then said that I
thought it was the format of the drum solo itself that I didn't like,
and that it was no reflection on the individual player.  My point was
that it must be impossible to play a good drum solo if so many great
drummers have trouble doing it.  And believe me, Al, I consider you
among the very top rock drummers all time. As someone else suggested,
the best way to show approval is with your wallet.  I've been a BOC
fan for over 20 years, and seen the band around 30 times.  The only
reason I don't have the Surgeon's stuff yet is 'cause I'm new to the
list.  Sad to say I'd never even heard of them.  But that's changed
now.  Any plans for the Surgeon's ever getting to this moribund
upstate New York Hamlet?
Thanks for your understanding, and especially for some amazing music,
ted