Drum solos

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Thu Nov 9 09:33:47 EST 1995

On the topic of "why is it so hard to find a good drum solo?", I think
the basic conflict is that we normally see solos as a forum for
expressing melody and the drum kit is primarily a vehicle for
producing rhythm.  (I think this is also why bass solos are less
successful in many people's eyes.)  The instrument itself seems to be
at a disadvantage when it comes to doing solos.  (Drummers, tell me
I'm wrong.)

Having said that, I think I am am odd in that I am actually more
interested in rhythm, interplay, and discerning motifs than I am in
listening to melody.  I guess that is why I am one of those rare
people who actually think Frank Zappa did something useful with his
guitar in the 80s... :-)

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Frank Zappa, _Bongo Fury_