Thoughts

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Thu Nov 9 14:49:00 EST 1995

Tony Kornheiser time (or is it one of the Guys from the Wash. Times)

Criticism - Well put thoughts by Dr. Bob, who I'm finding out is a doctor of
many things.  Found Al's thoughts on the subject to be most enlightening
too.  Maybe people who have bee poublic figures for quite some time and have
experieinced the highs and lows of fame have a much better grip on these
things.  Could explain why some of the younger artist (Tupac Shakur, the
lead singers for Nirvana, Blind Mellons etc.,)  seem to have such a hard
time dealing with fame and being in the public spotlight.  Guess if you
survive long enough in the entertainment business it is a true testatment to
your character.

Drum solo's - I like unplugged music, Stone Temple Pilots 70's and 80's live
albums and drum solos.  See the point where some don't like them at all but
in the right situation, the right timing I think they are pretty
entertaining.  Course it helps to have some skillz when trying to unleash
one of these.  Live is the only way to do a drum solo, studio versions blow
chunks.  I also think R&B bands do them much better than R&R bands, nothing
to do with talent, thats all relative, but the differences in the music make
R&B drum solos more appealing to me.  Same with Bass solos.

Watts D&S - Sounds like good good stuff.   Al you could probably hold a real
rock and roll,. all star party type recording with the people you have
worked with over the years.

HOF 500 influential - Hmmm.  It must be me and you know I'm wierd but how
can BOC not have a single song in the top 500?  Probably for the same reason
this thing is called a Hall of Fame as opposed to a museum.  Listen to some
recent music and even some old music, check out some lyrics, but I think the
contribution of the original oyster boys can be found is some really strange
and unusual music today.  Will take a look at Black Hole Sun as someone
suggested here, though that is the one song on an otherwise fabulous album
that I can't stomach.

Heavy Metal the Movie - Would that I could see this in its original form.,
 The first time at the theaters the crowd was really stimulated with the
natural and man made stuff which made paying attention to the movie almost
impossible.  Waited a week or two and then went to see it agian and was able
to enjoy it.  Loved it very much but BOC's musical contributions were
underutilzed.  The thing I never understoood, was it the intention of the
producers to have the movie based on BOC songs or to fit BOC songs into the
movie where appropriate?  Though I like the movie the producers failed on
both accounts.

Martyn's Comments on radio and 60/90's - Based on what Martyn was told, does
anyone really think we need radio stations anymore?  I really have a hard
time listening as no one seems to play stuff I want to hear often enough.
 I've gone back to listening to the talking heads of sports radio and simply
playing tapes while driving.  Yeah the 90's may be the 60's upside down, but
they will also make the 60's seem like the 40's when this world starts
dealing with some very realistic societal problems as we approach the turn
of the century.  An IBM commercial touts how its such a great time to be
alive, well many of may not think so by the end of this decade.