Drum solos

Stephen Lindsey stephen at SYSTEM9.UNISYS.COM
Thu Nov 9 16:36:54 EST 1995

Andy sez:

> I always felt that one of the good things about BOC was that the drum and
> bass solos were actually really good, unlike with most bands where they
> were a chance to go to the bar.  Case in point, Ginger Baker's solo in
> the middle of "Brainstorm" (on the HW _Levitation '80_ tour).  All very
> clever, and all very pointless.

Right, now you're going to get it, some things just can't escape comment
however busy I am. I was going to suggest earlier that anybody
looking for a *really* good drum solo should check out the mother
of them all, 'Toad' by our own Ginger Baker (on the 'Wheels of Fire'
album by Cream). I mean this is the high point of the art, the standard
by which all other drum solos have to be measured. and here we have
a person with absolutely no taste whatsoever suggesting that one
go to the bar while the one, the only, incomparable Ginger demonstrates
how pointless it is anybody ever trying to hit anything with a stick,
without being laughed at as 'Yes but you should hear Ginger Baker do that...'

I mean I'm speechless

...see ?

Seriously everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but this Andy guy
is definitely working undercover for some form of demonic
power in order to pervert unsuspecting innocents  ;-) :-)

Cheers,
Steve L. [resident Ginger B nut]