Drum solos

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Fri Nov 10 11:47:00 EST 1995

       > Actually, I think bass solos are often viewed as less successful
>since one need not actually be a terribly good bass player to be a bass
>player in a rock band.

Say what Carl?  Now you just....hmmm on second thought your are correct, you
really don't have to be a good bass player to play rock & roll do you.  You
definitely don't have to be good to play some of the newer grunge type music
(hell that rulew applies to guitarist and drummers, too).  Was really ready
to jump into the fray (face first of course) I started to compile a list of
great rock & roll bass players and then I paused.  "Hmmm Carl's not saying
that there aren't any, just that with R&R its not really necesarry. " Now
which bands really led with their bassist?  None of them really ever have.
 Yeah there are some pretty good and talented players but none of these guys
are the complete focus of their band.  A shame really some excellent
musicians out there that really don't recive a lot of credit.    I guess
that is why when I consult my list of great bass players it is completely
dominated by Jazz and R&B artist where bass plays a more prominent role.
 Jazz and R&B bass solos can be awesome.  I think you also find more improv
with R&B bassist and drummers.

This is a real good thread how about talking guitar solo's next.  Every good
band usually has one but can anyone stomach the 5-10 minute smoking of the
frets?  IMO guitar like bass and drum solos are only as good as the timing
accorded to it by the player, too long -lose interest, play it in the flow
and "all right."

My top five bassist -
Stanley Clarke
Percy Jones
Verdine White
Joe Bouchard
Doug Pinnick

Top five Guitarist -
Buck
Gary Hoey
Steve Howe
Rik Emmit
Ty Tabor

Best solo of any kind I have ever seen -
The Outlaws with four guitarist taking turns on Green Grass and High Tides

AB