MM and carnivals (was Re: Karn Evil)

J Strobridge eset08 at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Sun Nov 12 16:02:09 EST 1995

> > suspect Bradbury is why Moorcock had such a subconscious fascination
> > with fairground stuff - though it may just be another case of parallel
> > evolution in action.
>
> Other than his stuff with the Deep Fix, I'm unaware of MM carvial's
> fascination:  care to expand on the comment?  Please? :-)

I just remembered him mentioning this in the question and answer
interview MM gave us a while back.

I've just checked it up again and (on the understanding, as we originally
requested, that copies are not made and distributed without first asking
our permission) I enclose the relevant extract below.   The Questions
are composed by Mike Holmes, the answers are MMs  as expressed on a tape
which we subsequently transcribed.

             **************************

Extract from tape interview by Michael Moorcock in answer to a series of
written questions sent on behalf of boc-l

> The Deep fix album involves a lot of concepts which appear in your
> stories: the idea of people getting on with things in a post-apocalyptic
> situation, the "last fairground" which appeared in a particularly
> evocative short story of yours, and a certain sort of dark humour. Is
> that what you were trying to get into the album or did you have other
> things in mind?

That's right.  Essentially it's the same use of symbolism that I use in
the stories and there's a certain amount of moral thematic material and
that sort of thing.  And, yeah, dark humour, if you like - irony or
whatever you want to call it is there, as it is in the books.

> Did you get what you wanted into it in the end?

Not really.  No I didn't.  I really would like to work on that again,
just in terms of remixing let alone anything else.  But there it is,
there's not much chance of it now.

> Do you have a particular fairground in mind as "the last fairground"?

No, I didn't have a particular fairground in mind.  I was very fond of
fairgrounds, particularly at that period.  Lang Jones and I would spend
enormous amounts of time and money on the dodgems in fairgrounds all
over the south of England.  We'd discover where the best dodgems were,
which seems to suggest I had rather more leisure then than I've got now.
More energy too! I dunno where it went.

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at castle.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk