BBM

Stephen Lindsey stephen at SYSTEM9.UNISYS.COM
Mon Nov 13 20:16:38 EST 1995

> > > starts to sound Floydish in places. I'd stay away from the BBM stuff,
> > > he's a lot better playing Jazz stylings these days than straight rock.
> >
> > Hmmm...  I was going to ask if anyone could tell me anything about the
> > BBM stuff as I saw it in a shop a while ago but passed on it due to
> > financial considerations.  I've always had a big soft spot for Gary
> > Moore, so when I saw him teamed up with notables such as Ginger Baker
> > and Jack Bruce, it quite understandably raised an eyebrow.  But from
> > what you say, it's not very good.  Anything in particular, or is it
> > just bland?  It's odd that they're playing straight rock, given the
> > blues kick Moore has been on, and the normal jazz leanings of Bruce...
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> What've you been smoking, and can you get me some?  BBM is a killer
> record, in fact, it's the Cream reuinion with Gary on Gtr.  The only
> criticism is that is sounds too much like a Cream record.  Definitely
> get a copy and check it out. As for Gary being better on the jazzy
> stuff, I think you should have added IMHO, 'cause IMHO his rocked out
> stuff was by far the best, even better than the current blues stuff.
> Anyway, BBM is definitely worth a listen
> theo

Well I started this so I'd better give at least a clearer explanation of why I
didn't like the BBM album. Well 1) I'm a Ginger Baker fan (hands up anybody
who hadn't figured that out :-> ) and he plays as though he'd rather be
somewhere else on this, I'd say that he'd completely lost it, gone over the hill
except for the fact that his recent solo albums have shown *tremendous*
drumming. Difference ? they are more "jazz" oriented (one jazz rock one more
or less straight jazz - disclaimer: I normally don't listen to *any* jazz)
and allow him a lot of space to play against himself, against the other
musicians, and generally be heard. The BBM performance seems to be more
"Well this is the only way I'll actually make any *money* making a record
these days, but in case I lose my street cred, I'm in and out of here as
quickly as possible, and besides I'm -really- bored".  Sad but true.

Well thats one B, whatabout the other one (Bruce) and good old Moore,
well I would guess that Gary moore fans might actually like this the most,
his playing is fine, Jack Bruce's bass playing doesn't even start to
approach the old days, which leaves Gary wailing away with two old guys
plodding along in the background. The record also suffers from an overload
of Jack Bruces slower ballad type numbers. (If you're familiar with more
recent Jack Bruce you know what I mean here). As someone said it sounds like
 Cream in places, why because they baltantly rip off a coupleof their old intros
which would be fine, except that they seem to lose the pace partway through
and so come off as a poor copy.   For all that its not a complete loser, theres
some OK rockers, but given what it could have been, ......

By contrast I have a recent Jack Bruce 50th birthday double CD set (cant remember
the name now - Cities of Gold maybe). This has a number of guest artists
playing live with Bruce, but the finale has what became BBM as the line up, here
they play I think 4 or 5 Cream songs and to much better effect, although
still the originals are probably superior. (And again let Bruce and Baker
loose on a jazzy improvised piece - 'Statues' on the first disc and they
leave you with your mouth hitting the floor).

Right well hoped that helped, guess I have to give back something for all
that flaming I was enjoying so much. Still thinking about that Ginger
Baker discography for the archives.

Cheers,
Steve L.