Directory - Modified

Carolyn Crowley ccrowley at MHC.MTHOLYOKE.EDU
Tue Nov 14 14:42:20 EST 1995

On Tue, 14 Nov 1995, BREVARD Adrian R. wrote:

> I take it by their continued silence the lurkers would rather remain
> lurkers.  A few people who responded when this first started identified
> themselves as lurkers.  Perhaps someday someone can explain to me the
> advantages of lurking on a list like this, I just don't get it.  Do they
> read and formulate opinions and hold conversations with themselves?  Are
> they just looking for some quick entertainment or tid bots of useful data?
>  What is it with lurkers? Why does it happen? Someone with some brains stop
> me from ranting by providing a reasonable, plausible, rational, logical
> explanation of the existence of lurkers ARRRG!

Ok, brief explaination of why I lurk.  There is so much mail here, and
most often, I don't read it all until days (weeks sometimes) later.  By
then most of what I would have wanted to say has already been said.
Other then that, I tend to scan for information...and delete a lot of
the stuff that I would rather not read.  (I am on several mailing lists)