Kerrang!

Tue Nov 14 15:15:44 EST 1995

>ETL (Columbia, 1982 - K)
>"Do we really need ANOTHER live recording?" - Kerrang! 17, June 3-16, 1982

Well, depends.  For the BOC fan who has all their studio stuff, one might
argue that this is superfluous (can someone say "Career of Evil: The Metal
Years"?).  But, ETL is certainly not a bad album.  The sound quality is
great, the song selection is decent, it of course has all of "The big 3",
and also a great rendition of "Roadhouse Blues" with Robbie Krieger of the
Doors.  Sure, it may break no new artistic ground, but that doesn't make
it a "bad" album.

But, as always, album reviews are subjective, and quite often 2 people
will give completely different reviews.  Not to mention, I do believe
that different albums serve different functions, and a comment like "Do
we really need ANOTHER live recording" does not address all functions of
ETL - because my answer, looking at it from a perspective of wanting to
hear a BOC concert near the band's peak commercial popularity, is a
definitive YES. (but hell, I've got over 20 different BOC concerts on
tape or CD, so I'd even take ANOTHER live album - hey, maybe that's how
we finally get "See You in Black" released . . . :-)  ).

John