HW: Bob Calvert Project (repost)

John.Cartledge cs0jca at ISIS.SUNDERLAND.AC.UK
Wed Nov 15 10:07:56 EST 1995

Firstly, apologies if this has already appeared (major mail hassles including a
2 day bounce back!).

Hi all,

Yeah, the shop in question was Oldhitz. I say was, because a few months ago it
was knocked down in the name of progress in order for Marks & Spencer to expand
it's corporate empire over the site (also knocked down one of the best pubs in
Newcastle at the same time). Philistines!

It was run by a guy called John Hughes. He took a great interest in, and was
frirndly with, ICU, Bob Calvert and The Maximum Effect. For a time he would be
at every gig videoing and taping the shows. He also bought the rights to the
first ICU album (Pass Out) and re-released it on his own Oldhitz label with a
load of extra tracks (some featuring Calvert). Also at the time he was putting
out newsletters, videos and promoting shows. Unfortunately things ground to a
halt round about 1986-7 when ICU had split and the Maximum Effect got nowhere.
Shame really.

While on the subject of ICU, has anyone got a spare copy of, or knows where to
get a copy of ICU's Maximum Effect album. I've been after this for years with
little success. Odd copies i've found have been usually unplayable. I will pay
a decent price if it's in good nick.

Anyway. Hope this is of some use.

                Later

                John