Marillion

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Wed Nov 15 11:09:19 EST 1995

> Off Topic stuff - Is anybody out there familiar with the bands Man-O-War and
> Marrillion?  Just curious.  Browsing thru Best Buy wishing I had some money
> when I stumbled across these bands (looking for any new/old Marino). MOW
> looks like heavy metal types with SCI-FI/SWORD SORCERY theme.  Marillion are
> they a space rock band?  Can someone send me an E and clue in the clueless.

Ahhh, Marillion, the band that got me back into prog in a big way! This
is the prototype of all of the Neo-progressive bands. In many ways they
remind folks of Genesis (circa Selling England By The Pound), others
don't hear the resemblence (I do). David will argue with me, but I think
that the best Marillion is when they had their original vocalist Fish
with them. Sadly, he departed after the double live The Theiving Magpie.
Best bets to start with are Fugazi and Clutching at Straws, with Script
For A Jester's Tear right in there. The collection titled B-Sides
Themselves is also worth a listen (they made some great radio-ready
singles. Don't overlook what many claim to be the best concept release,
Misplaced Childhood, although I don't think it is as strong as Clutching.
Season's End was the last halfway decent release that I have heard (I
stopped buying their stuff after the awful Holidays In Eden).

IMHO, Marillion without Fish is like BOC is without the Bouchard Bros.
And Fish without Marillion dosen't have it either. Excellent musicianship
but they just don't have the spark. Sad...

      -m------- Craig Shipley   aka: craigs at pyratl.ga.pyramid.com
    ---mmm----- Pyramid Technology Corporation, A Siemens-Nixdorf Company
  -----mmmmm--- 1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE, Suite 400
-------mmmmmmm- Atlanta, GA 30342      (404) 845-3404