OFF: Re: Marillion

Allan T Grohe Jr iscladoc at FALCON.CC.UKANS.EDU
Wed Nov 15 11:42:56 EST 1995

On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, Craig Shipley wrote:

> David will argue with me, but I think
> that the best Marillion is when they had their original vocalist Fish
> with them. Sadly, he departed after the double live The Theiving Magpie.
> Best bets to start with are Fugazi and Clutching at Straws, with Script
> For A Jester's Tear right in there. The collection titled B-Sides
> Themselves is also worth a listen (they made some great radio-ready
> singles. Don't overlook what many claim to be the best concept release,
> Misplaced Childhood, although I don't think it is as strong as Clutching.
> Season's End was the last halfway decent release that I have heard (I
> stopped buying their stuff after the awful Holidays In Eden).
>
> IMHO, Marillion without Fish is like BOC is without the Bouchard Bros.
> And Fish without Marillion dosen't have it either. Excellent musicianship
> but they just don't have the spark. Sad...

While I despise _Holidays in Eden_ as much as many old Marillion fans, I
highly reccommend both of their releases afterward, _Brave_ (a concept lp
that at least approaches the level of _Clutching..._, and the newest
_Afraid of the Sunlight_.  The level of communication and interaction
between Steve Hogarth (vocalist after Fish) and the rest of the band has
finally come together to the point that the two blend as well as Fish and
old Marillion used to.

You might also want to take a look at Fish's first solo lp, _Vigil in a
Wilderness of Mirrors_, which is generally considered to be his best.  He
recently released a 2 cd compilation, _Yin and Yang_, that covers the
whole of his solo career, and some reinterpretations of old Marillion
classics.

Allan.

ObHW:  On the advice of list members, I recently purchased the Griffin
_Warrior_ with booklet, but don't hear any major difference compared to
my Dojo release:  am I just missing it?

Allan T. Grohe, Jr.                     Nomad of the Time Streams #159
iscladoc at falcon.cc.ukans.edu            Keeper of _The Dead Gods Book_
iscladoc at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

        "Farewell, friend.  I was a thousand times more evil than thou."
                - Michael Moorcock, _Stormbringer_