Marillion

J Strobridge eset08 at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Wed Nov 15 13:34:16 EST 1995

> > Off Topic stuff - Is anybody out there familiar with the bands Man-O-War and
> > Marrillion?  Just curious.  Browsing thru Best Buy wishing I had some money

> Ahhh, Marillion, the band that got me back into prog in a big way! This
> is the prototype of all of the Neo-progressive bands. In many ways they
> remind folks of Genesis (circa Selling England By The Pound), others
> don't hear the resemblence (I do). David will argue with me, but I think

They, to me, sounded very close to Genesis only harsher with a much
more powerful social comment.    Reminds me of the glorious days of
"Edinburgh Rock", one of the all-time best evening rockmusic radio shows
I ever heard, before the presenter vanished abruptly from the scene due
to a prolonged "illness".    Not sure if he was sacked or pushed but it
was the only show I ever felt compelled to write to - wierd satirical
letters under the name of Jon Swift.....  Some of them he read out
too!

Anyhow he was one of the first supporters of Marillion while they were
still a struggling gig band playing in the student Uni clubs and before
they got signed to a record label.   He'd play all their tapes and
anything else they sent in - it was fascinating to listen to them
develop.    Then they did a wonderful New Year's Eve concert at the
Playhouse a year or two later with Fish acting the part of a Heroin
addict during one song - far more impressively, I must confess,
than the dancers at the recent Hawkwind show.

Memories.....

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at castle.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk