OFF: alt.music.planet-gong

RJPXR5 at AOL.COM RJPXR5 at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 20 07:26:11 EST 1995

chuck-->>>    I need a little Gong advice from the Gong aliens. I've
seen two Gong records - I regret that I can't remember the damn
titles, but one is from '75 and another from '77. Were they
still good at this time? Is it real psychedelic freak-out type
stuff that a HW junkie would eat up?<<<
it is "real psychedelic freakout stuff", but being a hawkfan does not
mean you must enjoy gong.the spirit is way different.picture a rowdy
group of elves-no, make that gnomes-having a huge trip party dedicated to
chipping away at the foundations of the ESTABLISHMENT.some excellent
musicianship,the music tends to create a lot of middle-eye visuals. a lot of
it has a whimsical feel to it.
i am not familiar with any albums from 75 or 77(not on my shelves,anyway) but
the stuff from 73-74 is imho their best,and the stuff from after is not far
behind.77 sounds like it might be the comp
"gong live etc." good stuff. the best thing to get would be
"gong est mort/gong live",if you can find it.
one thing to bear in mind-gong has as many, if not more,variations
as hawkwind,and each has its own unique sound.
mothergong=poetry and strange music
gong/gong maison=poetry and space rock
moerlin's gong=strange music,jazz,often cheesy imho
these are only my oppinions- im sure there are people here
who would disagree on many of these points.  rj