Cultosaurus Erectus

J Strobridge eset08 at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Mon Nov 20 13:42:19 EST 1995

> >   Take "Cultosaurus
> > Erectus" - where the HELL did someone come up with that?
>
> Wasn't it a pun on "Pithecanthropus Erectus"?  Now, someone fill in the
> literary allusion, 'cause I've forgotten it :)

Oh - interesting allusion.   Would this be from the time there was all
that fuss about early man and his origins in the plains of Africa and
outside this?     Pithecanthropus was the fossil type of early man
that was found in Java and really upset everyone 'cos up until that
point everyone thought that only Africa had early human remains and folk
got a bit uptight about whether this fossil was a separate line that had
come extinct or was related to the African species line or not.   Can't
remember what was decided in the end - I think it turned out to be young
enough to have been part of the first African exodus with that line
becoming extinct.    Anyone?

In fact, now I come to think about it they've discovered even older
fossil types in China now which will mean another rethink of the African
exodus episodes I guess.

jill

(Hawkwind fan but continually surprised, and impressed, by the range
of BOC allusions that keep occurring!)

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at castle.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk