Oh We Have Coffee!

Robert Kohl rkohl at STATE.DE.US
Tue Nov 21 09:54:57 EST 1995

Taking a cue from AB, ROBO, et. al., I fired up the 4 cup mini-brewer this
morning here in the office while reading my digest.  Hadn't used it in a long
time, but since joining this list I have a strange urge for the stuff.
Dumped in an extra tablespoon or two and I'm ready to go.

John S. writes:
>>>stuff deleted<<<
As far as needing a psychiatric, well I doubt it.
>>>stuff deleted<<<

Well, perhaps I ought to go back to the smiley faces. Naah.  This was said
sort of tongue-in-cheek.

>>>stuff deleted<<<
Which would you find more depressing-BOC packing a 500 seat club, or BOC
playing to 1000 in a stadium that seats 20,000?
>>>stuff deleted<<<

For my money, I'll take the stadium.  Give me 50 ft. Godzillas, and Harleys
on stage!  Wouldn't depress me at all unless I wasn't one of the 1000.

>>>stuff deleted<<<
There are probably thousands of absolutely fantastic albums out there that
failed miserably.
>>>stuff deleted<<<
I agree. Right on!  Hence one of the ironic dichotomys of the music biz:  If
a song makes the top 40 charts, it is likely to sell more albums, right?
However, since I know many folks like myself who think that 99% of top 40 pop
stuff is junk, its tough to catch that 1% of good stuff when flipping through
the stations on the radio.  Another irony, what about those of us who prefer
classic rock stations?  Theoretically, we would NEVER hear any new material,
yet I'm already hearing hits from REM, STP and stuff on the classic rock
station that I usually listen to.  I'm not complaining, just confused. So the
question: What makes a classic?  (See, drinking coffee while in these
contemplative moods is a dangerous thing)

>>>stuff deleted<<<
There's the issue of the record company promoting the band and the album.
And, I believe that is what is going on in the music world (i.e. what's hot
and what's not) has alot to do with it.
>>>stuff deleted<<<
I agree.  Well said!  Its just a shame that the so-called decision makers
make what I think are alot of bad decisions.  I reference my discussion with
the buyer from "The Wall" in a previous post as an example.  There is nothing
better that I'd like to do than start with middle management, follow the
strings up to the ivory tower (Triumph reference here) and have a good talk
with the "authorities" on what's hot and what's not.  Apparently, it takes
more than the wallet to get through to these guys.

>>>stuff deleted<<<
It was definitely a problem with the sound MIX, and not the band's playing
ability.
>>>stuff deleted<<<
I agree.  I thought that's what I said.  Here is a band with oodles of energy
that could wipe out a stadium, and they have "Mixmaster DJ Jazzy Deaf" for a
sound man.  I still think the acustics of the venue have something to do with
it also, and I guess that ultimately, its the band's fault for not sounding
so good since they chose that venue (i.e.-clubs) which does NOT take
advantage of their potential.

A word here to those that may have been upset with my honest opinion of the
concert.  When your favorite band sets high standards by musically kicking
your ass, and then, in later appearances does not live up to that standard,
the review is going to be percieved as negative.  But is that the fault of
the reviewer who was given those high standards by the band in the first
place?  (extra gulp of java to contemplate this)   I think that BOC on a bad
day is better than almost any other band I can think of on a good day, but
that doesn't mean that I have to settle for mediocrity.

Theo writes:
>>>stuff deleted<<<
I kinda like seeing BOC in clubs.  When they were playing stadiums, they were
often real far away, when I couldn't get good seats.  In clubs, you're right
next to the band, and can see every expression on their faces. <stuff
skipped> Also, at clubs, there's an excellent chance to see the band after
the gig to talk to them and thank them for the show
>>>stuff deleted<<<
No doubt that these are advantages.  But I think it would be cool to be among
the 1000 in that empty stadium (in the hypothetical example above) where
you'd still get to be up close...and get the Harley on stage...and get
Godzilla blazing away.  Congratulatory messages could be sent via e-mail.

AB writes:
>>>stuff deleted<<<
Must give you one raspberry though, Dr. Bob, for not recognizing Flaming
Telepaths "the joke's on you."
>>>stuff deleted<<<
Must give you one opportunity to kiss my ass though, AB, for not recognizing
that I was reading blurred, runny writing from a soda-stained napkin and that
my memory falters when my ears are still ringing 2 days after a concert.

Just kidding, bro, you know I'm just joshing.  Seriously, though, I'll try
not to let it happen again. :-)  <-----how the hell did that get there!!!

>>>stuff deleted<<<
Good honest review though.
>>>stuff deleted<<<
Why, thanks, bro-san!

Paul writes:
>>>stuff deleted<<<
I normally find that artists pale in comparison on CD compared with their
live performances.
>>>stuff deleted<<<
I agree 99.9%  But if the mixmaster is from the school for the deaf, I'll
still take the CD.

Well, the coffee is almost gone, so just a few miscellaneous thoughts:

1. ROBO, was that you in the white BOC shirt with blue sleeves at The Silo?

2. AB, the package arrived this a.m.  Also, now that you have your PC at
home, be careful, its more addictive than video games when we were kids.
Don't forget your family.

-Dr. Bob
rkohl at state.de.us