Off: Steve Vai

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Tue Nov 21 16:17:03 EST 1995

Rudich, Robert A writes:

> I like Steve Vai a lot.  He isn't a wuss (you must be thinking the guy from
> Poison), ROBO.  He played with David Lee Roth when he started out solo and
> then went off on his own.  A bit of a poser, but not excessive, plays a hell
> of an ax though.

He also played "stunt guitar" in Frank Zappa's band in the 80's.
Frank also hired him as a transcriber ('tis Steve who is largely
responsible for the Real Frank Zappa Guitar book), because apparently
he is very, very good at it.

Vai did have blue hair when he was with Zappa (at least for part of
the time).  I don't know if this instantly qualifies him as a
wuss/poser.

As for whether he'd fit in well playing in BOC, well I'm skeptical.
Vai's music has a strong positive (almost spiritual)/whimsical side to
it.  I don't know how he'd take to the sinister bent of BOC.

I don't doubt he could handle things technically, of course...

Cheers,

Paul "anyone who plays with Zappa can't be ALL bad" Mather.

obCD: Frank Zappa, _Burnt Weeny Sandwich_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.

"True cheepnis is exemplified by visible nylon strings attached to the
 jaw of a giant spider..."

        --- Frank Zappa, "Cheepnis", _Roxy & Elsewhere_