Off: Steve Vai

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Tue Nov 21 17:12:25 EST 1995

> Not to mention playing with Zappa.  I figure that anyone Zappa chose to be
> in his band has (or had) something going for them.  I think (hope) that the
> David L Roth and Whitesnake ventures were just mistakes, or else just money
> making schemes.
>
> I've got Vai's "Flex-Able" disc, some of which I really like, some of which
> I don't.  I've not heard anything from his last two discs.  Can anyone
> recommend them, or otherwise give me an impression of them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bryan
 Bryan,
 Vai's albums are packed with full-tilt shredding, if that's your
thing.  'Passion and Warfare,' I will admit, grudgingly, is a pretty
good album.  My main problem with Vai isn't his playing as much as
the lyrics he writes.  Strictly space cadet stuff, and some are
embarassingly immature.  If words don't count for you, then you'd
probably like anything he does, 'cause he sure can play gtr.  For me,
it takes more than playing ability alone.  Also, his playing is very
'busy' sounding, bordering more on sound effects than music.  Guess
it's all a matter of taste.
theo